If you’re at all interested in maximising how healthy your hair looks, I’d be happy to bet that you have spent a lot of time and money researching and using various hair products that promise miraculous results. Some seem to work, some have no effect, and if your results are like mine, some even seem to make your hair greasier and lacking body!
But this post isn’t about the best shampoos or gels; it’s about the other aspect of healthy hair that people often overlook.
Your hair is affected by your diet.
Yep, no joke.
Everything you eat, and absorb, affects the health of your body – which includes your hair.
So, if you’re sick of taking chances on new beauty products, and truly want to nourish your hair from the inside, include some of these healthy hair boosting foods in your diet:
- Salmon – a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which will prevent your scalp from flaking. If you’re vegetarian, add some ground flaxseed to your diet every day.
- Dark green vegetables – things like spinach and broccoli are excellent sources of vitamins A and C, which allow the body to produce sebum, the body’s natural hair conditioner
- Beans – legumes including kidney beans and lentils are great sources of iron, zinc and biotin. Biotin deficiences can cause brittle hair.
- Nuts – nuts are great sources of fatty acids, selenium and zinc. Zinc deficiencies can cause excess hair shedding.
- Poultry – lean protein helps you avoid weak brittle hair and even loss of hair colour.
- Eggs – high in biotin and vitamin B12, eggs are great beauty enhancers!
- Whole grains – whole grains pack a real punch for hair health, providing zinc, iron and B vitamins
- Oysters – oysters are great for hair health because of their zinc content, so enjoy these when you get the chance – they don’t need to be part of your daily diet!
- Low fat dairy – skimmed milk and yoghurts are great sources of calcium, another important nutrient for hair health
- Carrots – carrots are brimming with vitamin A, which is extremely good news for your scalp
Next time you are shopping for hair products, take a wander around the food aisles and pick up some of these healthy hair treats instead. Your hair will thank you.
Enjoyed this post? Have a question or comment? Maybe a favourite recipe using these foods? Comment below, we love to hear from you!