Antibiotics are a fairly recent invention; which is shocking when we consider the widespread reliance the devloped world has for them. It is even more shocking when we realise that most bacteria has already become immune to pharmaceutical antibiotics.
And yet, most people do not understand what antibiotics are or how they work. The purpose of antibiotics is to kill life – ‘anti bio’ – and this is what they do every time you or a loved one use them. However, they are not good at distinguishing the substance they have been sent in to kill, and substances that you need. After following a course of antibiotic drugs, you will typically have your beneficial bacteria killed off for 6 months.
“When you take antibiotics, you are doing to your body what a farmer does when he sprays his fields with pesticides,” says medical researcher Geoffrey Cannon.
But most of us have turned to using an aspirin for any number of ailments. These over-the-counter drugs are popular because they save us the time of seeing the doctor, being diagnosed and having to collect a prescription for other drugs. And yet, the active ingredient in aspirin, salicylic acid, has absolutely no use in the body. Over the long-term, continued use of aspirin can increase the risk of stomach ulcers, block Vitamin C intake and deplete folic acid levels.
Please understand that there are usually safe alternatives to drugs that are actually more effective and beneficial. Wherever possible, your aim should be to avoid synthetic substances, including pharmaceutical drugs.
Natural antibiotics, commonly found in herbal plants, are the most effective bacterial fighters. These substances work with the body to overcome the problem, rather than simply overpowering everything as pharmaceutical antibiotics attempt to.
Here is your guide to fighting some common infections naturally:
- Stomach Bugs – grapefruit seed*, garlic, digestive probiotics
- Diarrhoea – grapefruit seed*
- Food poisoning – digestive probiotics, garlic
- Sore Throat, Tonsillitis, Laryngitis – Vitamin C, Vitamin A, garlic, cat’s claw*^
- Sinusitis – Vitamin C, inhale eucalypus, cat’s claw*^
- Colds and flu – Vitamin C, elderberry extract, cat’s claw*^
- Ear infections – grapefruit seed*, garlic, Vitamins A, C and E
- Eye infections – Vitamins A and C, essential fatty acids, bilberry
- Athlete’s foot – garlic, essential fatty acids, Vitamin C
- Candidiasis (thrush) – garlic, grapefruit seed*, capryllic acid^, black barberry*^
^ = NOT TO BE USED WHEN PREGNANT
* = ONLY TO BE USED SHORT-TERM DURING THE INFECTION